Minister Announces Funding for Archives in Nova Scotia

first_imgMore of Nova Scotia’s stories will be preserved and made accessible through an investment in archival institutions across the province. Tourism, Culture and Heritage Minister Bill Dooks announced $85,000 in funding for 11 archives today, July 17, through the Provincial Archival Development Program. “The Provincial Archival Development Program is a major breakthrough,” said Mr. Dooks. “Through this program, financial assistance can be provided to support and strengthen Nova Scotia’s archival community, which works diligently to preserve records of Nova Scotia’s history and make them more accessible to the public.” The introduction of the program responds directly to a central recommendation in the Membership Needs Assessment and Planning Study Final Report issued by the Council of Nova Scotia Archives in April 2007. It also responds to a key archival priority initiative identified in the province’s Heritage Strategy released in February. “It is very welcome news for archives in all regions of Nova Scotia,” said Karen White, archives advisor for the council which is one of the funding recipients. “The project funding program will increase our ability to preserve records of long-term value that document our unique history, and help us make them readily available to Nova Scotians, our fellow Canadians and the world.” The program provides up to a maximum of 75 per cent of project costs. The other 25 per cent comes from the applicant in the form of cash or other support. All applications are reviewed independently. More information on the Provincial Archival Development Program is available on the website at www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/padp . Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management acquires, preserves and makes available the province’s documentary heritage.last_img read more