Monkeys at Woburn Safari Park, where 13 of their number where killed in a fire on TuesdayCredit:Alamy “When firefighters from Woburn and Dunstable Community Fire Stations arrived along with the water carrier from Toddington they found the outbuilding housing Patas monkeys was well alight and its roof had fallen in. ‘They fought the fire using fire hoses while wearing breathing apparatus to protect themselves from the smoke and fumes. The building was 90 per cent damaged by the fire. “The fire was spotted by security guards on a routine patrol.”An investigation by Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service concluded later that the fire started accidentally following a fault in an electricity generator housed in the same building as the monkey house.In the wild, ground-dwelling Patas monkeys are found in the grassland, open savannah and dry woodland of central Africa.They can grow up to 34in (85cm) in length, with a 30in (75cm) tail, and can live for around 20 years.Woburn’s troop of Patas monkeys shares a 16-acre enclosure with other species, but is housed at night during the winter months.The fire at Woburn Safari Park came after a blaze at London Zoo killed one aardvark and four meerkats in December.The blaze has led to the postponement of Tuesday’s planned annual stock-take at the zoo, in Regent’s Park.Every one of the zoo’s animals was due to be accounted for, but the stock-take has now been put on hold until FebruaryThe fire broke out in the animal adventure section of London zoo, destroying the cafe, shop and around half of the adjacent petting zoo, London Fire Brigade said.The world-famous attraction reopened to visitors on Christmas Eve. Thirteen monkeys have died following a fire in an enclosure at Woburn Safari Park. The fire broke out in the early hours of Tuesday in the Patas’ monkey house within the African Forest drive-through enclosure of the park in Bedfordshire.The Patas monkeys were killed when the roof on the building they were living in collapsed as a result of the fire.A spokesman for the park said: “Staff and fire crews attended the scene; however, devastatingly for everyone at the park, none of the 13 animals could be saved.”All other animals within the jungle drive-through enclosure are being monitored, but early signs suggest they have not been affected by the fire.Fire crews managed to put the fire out by 4.46am and firefighters said 90 per cent of the building was damaged. A Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire at a monkey enclosure at Woburn Safari Park at 2.37am this morning. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.