News / No strike at Cargolux as management and unions finally hammer out new work agreement

first_img After a further 48 hours of talks, Cargolux and its unions have finally come to an agreement.“There will be no strike at Cargolux,” said a very tired Dirk Becker, executive secretary of Luxembourg’s Pilot Association. “We have reached an acceptable agreement.”The management and OGBL, CLSC and LCGB unions have agreed a new Collective Work Agreement, which will be valid for three years.“I am extremely pleased to have come to a common understanding with our social partners,” said Cargolux CEO Dirk Reich. “With the agreement, we achieve a significant improvement in the flexibility and economic efficiency of Cargolux, and send a strong signal for the job security at Cargolux and increased competitiveness of Luxembourg as a leading logistic hub in Europe.”The deal essentially is that which had been agreed on December 1, but then cancelled after the LCGB queried details in the final text.“This is based on the principles of the first agreement – but the devil was in the detail,” said Mr Becker. “Those issue have now been dealt with.”He added: “It is regrettable, when looking at what we have agreed, that this could all have been achieved at the beginning of the year. But it is common for negotiations to drag on. It has placed a huge burden on Cargolux. Time will tell how long it will take to get the airline back to where it was.”In separate news, Cargolux today welcomed a decision by the EU General Court, annulling articles 1 to 5 of the Commission’s 2010 decision in the alleged air freight cartel. The decision means a  €79.9m fine previously levied on Cargolux has also been annulled. ©Gordzamcenter_img By Alex Lennane 16/12/2015last_img read more

Cabinet Has Received No Information Regarding Arms Embargo – Senator Falconer

first_imgMinister with responsibility for Information, Senator the Hon. Sandrea Falconer, says Cabinet has received no information regarding a United States (US) imposed arms embargo on the island.“We had a Cabinet meeting on Monday (and) there was no such matter reported to the Cabinet,” Minister Falconer said in her response to questions posed by journalists during Wednesday’s (July 9) Jamaica House press briefing.Journalists queried whether or not the US government had invoked provisions of the Leahy Law or Leahy Amendment and the reason for the resignation of Commissioner of Police, Owen Ellington.“If that has in fact happened, I am sure that the Minister of National Security, at the appropriate time, will inform the Cabinet and will inform the nation. I am not aware that any such thing has occurred,” Minister Falconer added.She stated that the Government “has nothing to hide. If there are issues, there are processes and procedures”.“We have bilateral  arrangements and I believe at the appropriate time, if there was in fact such an action taken, the Government of Jamaica will make public whatever those are,” she added.The Leahy Law is a US human rights law that prohibits the US Department of State and Department of Defense from providing military assistance to foreign military units that violate human rights with impunity.If a unit is found to have been credibly implicated in a serious abuse of human rights, assistance is denied until the host nation’s government takes effective steps to bring the responsible persons within the unit to justice.The Information Minister also urged members of the media fraternity not to speculate as it relates to the sudden resignation of the Commissioner Ellington.“I think we have to be careful…There are many rumours swirling …we had a Commissioner of Police, who went into early retirement and I think because of that people want to speculate as to the reasons and the reasons are so varied and I believe we need to be careful,” she said.Commissioner Ellington recently indicated that he would retire from his post on completion of vacation leave due to him. He proceeded on leave on Tuesday July 1, 2014.Deputy Commissioner of Police, Glenmore Hinds, has been appointed to act as Commissioner of Police, effective Tuesday, July 1, 2014, while the Police Service Commission commences the process of appointing a new Commissioner. RelatedPublic Sector Employees Urged to be the Best Photo: JIS PhotographerMinister with responsibility for Information, Senator the Hon. Sandrea Falconer (left), addressing Wednesday’s (July 9) Jamaica House press briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister in Kingston. Also pictured, Minister of State in the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, Hon. Richard Azan. Cabinet Has Received No Information Regarding Arms Embargo – Senator FalconerJIS News | Presented by: PausePlay% buffered00:0000:00UnmuteMuteDisable captionsEnable captionsSettingsCaptionsDisabledQualityundefinedSpeedNormalCaptionsGo back to previous menuQualityGo back to previous menuSpeedGo back to previous menu0.5×0.75×Normal1.25×1.5×1.75×2×Exit fullscreenEnter fullscreenPlay Story HighlightsMinister with responsibility for Information, Senator the Hon. Sandrea Falconer, says Cabinet has received no information regarding a United States (US) imposed arms embargo on the island.Journalists queried whether or not the US government had invoked provisions of the Leahy Law or Leahy Amendment and the reason for the resignation of Commissioner of Police, Owen Ellington.The Leahy Law is a US human rights law that prohibits the US Department of State and Department of Defense from providing military assistance to foreign military units that violate human rights with impunity. RelatedGovernment to Address Needs in the Fire Servicecenter_img Cabinet Has Received No Information Regarding Arms Embargo – Senator Falconer InformationJuly 10, 2014Written by: Chris Patterson RelatedStiffer Fines Coming For Breaches Of Fisheries Act FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Advertisementslast_img read more